Track project at Amherst Regional High School gets green light, work to begin in June

The Amherst Regional School Committee approved a $4.11 million contract on Tuesday for construction of a new track and field at Amherst Regional High School. Work is projected to begin in June.

The Amherst Regional School Committee approved a $4.11 million contract on Tuesday for construction of a new track and field at Amherst Regional High School. Work is projected to begin in June. GAZETTE FILE PHOTO

By SCOTT MERZBACH

Staff Writer

Published: 02-13-2025 11:42 AM

AMHERST — Construction on a new track and field at Amherst Regional High School, at a cost of $4.11 million, should begin in late June.

The Amherst Regional School Committee Tuesday gave unanimous approval for M.J. Cataldo Inc., of Littleton, to handle the long-awaited project, after determining it is qualified and submitted the lowest of 10 bids, which ranged up to $6.91 million. The bid is $384,000 below cost projections and $400,000 below what is already in hand for the project.

M.J. Cataldo also included in its bid six alternates, or add-ons, including a fence and a concrete bleacher pad, that will be completed within its bid.

Following the vote, there was applause by committee members and shouts of “yeah,” with Chairwoman Sarahbess Kenney offering appreciation to Bob Pereint, the special capital projects coordinator for the town, and Assistant Town Manger David Ziomek.

“This was a whole heap (of work),” Kenney said.

“It’s going to be really exciting, and we’ll start sometime in June, we hope,” Ziomek said.

The main project is designed by SLR Consulting of Agawam and will be replacing the latex-covered asphalt track, constructed in 1999, with a new eight-lane track. Inside the track will be a reoriented, north-south playing field with a natural grass surface. A second new playing field will be built west of the track.

The track has been in such poor condition that the high school has been unable to host home meets since 2018, while the interior playing field has been plagued with divots and holes and is often wet. A concern with using a grass surface is the drainage and necessary maintenance that will be done to keep it in good shape.

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

Nearly all of South Hadley High’s student body holds ‘walkout to walk-in’ rally to oppose cuts, call for funding reform
Northampton schools probe staff response to student’s unfulfilled IEP
Amherst’s Ryan Leonard makes NHL debut for Washington Capitals in 4-3 win over Bruins in Boston
Belchertown voters to decide on $3.3M override for schools, town, capital projects
Four Red Fire Farm workers arrested as part of ICE operation in Springfield
UMass hockey: Carvel reflects on Minutemen’s successful 2024-25 season

So far, $4.51 million has been appropriated for the project, and another $176,000 is anticipated from Leverett, where voters at annual Town Meeting will be asked to draw that from the Community Preservation Act account.

Already, Amherst has provided $1.76 million from its CPA account, with Shutesbury contributing $136,000 and Pelham $110,500 from those accounts.

Other sources of funding include $1.5 million in debt approved by the regional schools, $900,000 in free cash from Amherst and a $104,840 donation from the Amherst Hurricane Boosters, which is less than what had been sought, but its fundraising was largely contingent on an interior field with synthetic turf, which was removed over objections from health boards over forever chemicals.

Pereint said the town received proposals from 10 contractors, well above the number he anticipated, and three to four were acceptable. “It was great to see 10 bids,” Pereint said.

The low bid means that there will be a 10% contingency. “It’s what we hoped for, and we got there,” Pereint said.

The contractor will have 120 days to complete the work, after the fields are turned over to M.J. Cataldo in late June. The athletic director is aware that there will be a “short term impact” on fields during the fall sports season, Ziomek said.

In addition to the chainlink fence at the track and a concrete bleacher pad, the other alternatives in the project include walk improvements along Mattoon Street, LED lights, poles, wiring and controls, a 20-foot high ball safety netting and track runout chutes on the east side.

Scott Merzbach can be reached at smerzbach@gazettenet.com.